Serving San Diego County since 1880, San Diego Humane Society operates campuses in San Diego, Escondido, and Oceanside.
We provide vital services to animals and people by sheltering and adopting animals, providing positive reinforcement training classes, investigating animal cruelty and neglect, presenting education programs for youth and adults, and much more.
We are a private, nonprofit organization that is not affiliated with any other humane society or SPCA. San Diego Humane Society receives no government funding and is supported solely by contributions, grants, bequests, investments, proceeds from our retail store, and small fees for services.
Our Programs and Services Include:
- Adoptions: on-site and mobile (off-site). Every animal that we adopt out has been spayed or neutered, microchipped, is up-to-date on shots, and has been tested for health and behavior.
- Animal Adventure Camp (spring, winter, and summer break camps for youth).
- Animal control and stray pet services (Escondido, San Marcos, Poway, Oceanside and Vista).
- Animal cruelty and neglect investigations.
- Behavior helpline and private consultations.
- Boy and Girl Scout troop programs.
- Campus tours.
- Comprehensive medical and behavioral services for all animals in our care.
- Educational programs for youth and adults.
- Foster care program.
- Intake of owner-relinquished pets and pets from other shelters.
- Owner-requested euthanasia for terminally ill or suffering animals.
- PAWS San Diego: provides essential pet services and support to low-income seniors, chronically ill, and disabled individuals. This vital community service is the official safety net program of San Diego Humane Society.
- Pet-Assisted Therapy.
- Pet loss support group.
- Project Wildlife: the primary local resource for animal rehabilitation, conservation, and wildlife education.
- Positive reinforcement behavior and training classes for pet owners.
- Rescuing animals in emergency situations (Animal Rescue Reserve).
- School outreach and supplemental programs.
- Sheltering and adopting animals.
- Spay and neuter services.
- Vaccine clinics.
- Volunteer opportunities for youth, adults, and corporate groups.