Each year, San Diego Humane Society recognizes the extraordinary animal-lovers throughout San Diego, the nation’s “Pet Friendliest” community, with the Animal Compassion Awards.
Recognizes a moving story that demonstrates the powerful and unique relationship between humans and animals. Highlights how an animal has impacted a human life in an extraordinary way, or vice versa.
Recognizes an individual, business or group that goes above and beyond to create positive awareness of animals and the unconditional love they bring to individuals.
Recognizes local businesses or destinations that promote and support an extraordinary pet-friendly environment in the following categories:
- Best Pet-Friendly Restaurant
- Best Pet-Friendly Hotel
- Best Pet-Friendly Housing
- Best Groomer
- Best Pet Sitter
- Best Dog Beach
- Best Dog Park
- Best Pet Boutique
- Best Dog Wash
- Best Boarding Kennel
2016 Winners will be shared soon!
How to Enter and Timing
- Entrants should submit an essay of no more than 500 words, and include a minimum of two digital photos, but not exceed six photos.
- Entries may be submitted electronically via email or mail.
- In all application submissions, please include:
- Pet’s Name
- City of Residence
- Contact Information
- Entries will be accepted through February 12, 2016 (11:59 p.m. PST).
- Judging will take place February 15 – 26, 2016.
- Open to all residents and/or businesses of San Diego County.
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age, or be able to provide parental approval for participation.
- Entries must be the original work of the entrant, may not have been published previously, not infringe on third party rights, and must be suitable for publication (not obscene or indecent).
- Must sign release form for use of likeness, written samples, and promotional video.
- Employees, members of judging panel, their family members, and award sponsors are not eligible.
- No purchase, adoption, or donation necessary to enter.
- Entrant must be willing to appear in San Diego Pets Magazine.
Nomination Process and Evaluation Criteria
Award winners will be chosen based on the unique and compelling nature of their relationship with their animal companion or their service to animals in our community, depending on the category. An Advisory Committee will select the winners of the Animal Impact and Humane Hero award. Public voting will determine the winners of the Pet-Friendly Business Awards.