Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
San Diego Humane Society’s Escondido Campus cares for the homeless and stray animals of Escondido, Poway and San Marcos. Volunteers help serve our animals and guests to ensure their experience at the shelter is phenomenal. We are grateful for the enthusiasm, dedication, and love they share with us every single day.
New volunteers are typically recruited every other month, on an as needed basis. We are currently training our last round of recruits. If interested in volunteering, please review the information below and check back on May 1 to see if we have additional openings at that time.
Requirements to Volunteer FOR the Escondido Campus:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Due to time invested in training volunteers must commit to a minimum of 1 year of service.
- At this time, we are unable to verify hours to meet community service requirements mandated by the court. Hours for school, military, etc will be verified after 6 months of service.
- New volunteers will begin in the Foundation Level role where they assist with feeding, cleaning, making enrichment items, and some hands on socialization opportunities with our animals. After a minimum of 15 hours of service, volunteers may apply to “Step Up” into our Core Level roles such as dog walking, cat socializing, and assisting in our kitten nursery. These roles require additional training, responsibility, and a weekly shift commitment.
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER:
- Sign up for a Volunteer Info Session. Info Sessions are hosted on an as needed basis. At this session you will learn more about our organization, the volunteer program, and the current roles we have available. Sessions are posted to this web page at the start of each recruitment round.
- If after attending an Info Session you decide we are the right organization for you, you may then complete a volunteer application and sign up for a Volunteer Service Interview. This small group session includes a walking tour of the facility and a group interview with both question and answer as well as practicing volunteer duties to determine if the role is the right fit for you.
- Following the interview, the Volunteer Engagement team will review your paperwork and place you in a specific volunteer role if there is an appropriate assignment that matches your skills, interests, and availability.
- Once you have received your volunteer assignment, we will schedule any additional necessary hands on training. This may include a class and/or 1 on 1 mentor training with a staff member or experienced volunteer.
We are currently training the last group of new volunteers who recently joined our team. Please check back in May for potential recruitment dates. In the meantime, below is information on other ways to help our animals. Thank you so much for your support!
- Consider becoming a Foster home.
- Create animal enrichment items from our Do-It-Yourself Packet.
- Host a donation drive to collect items on our Wish List.
- Post Furry Flyers to help our shelter animals get adopted.
- Host a third party fundraiser.
- “Like” us on Facebook and share our posts!
*If you would like to receive a reminder email when our next Volunteer Info Session dates are posted in May please email [email protected]