Work for Us and Change the World
We Are Like No Other Shelter
San Diego Humane Society is looking for candidates who will support our goal to end animal suffering with our mission to Inspire Compassion. It is through our approach to reducing systematic reasons for animal homelessness that we are making the greatest impact in our community.
San Diego Humane Society thrives on a Culture of Care, offering competitive pay and benefits. We have a generous paid time-off plan, paid holidays, medical insurance, long-term disability insurance, life-insurance, a retirement savings plan with 5% match, flexible spending accounts, wellness program, and employee discounts. We are a private, nonprofit organization that is not affiliated with any other humane society or SPCA organization.
San Diego Humane Society fosters a nurturing and supportive environment for employees and volunteers alike. Here’s why it’s a great place to work:
- Dynamic co-workers
- Team-oriented environment
- Multiple locations
- Excellent benefits
- Competitive salaries
- Opportunity for advancement
- Comprehensive training programs
- Medical: 100% employer-paid deductible HMO plans, optional buy up coverage available**
- Dental: 100% employer-paid DHMO, optional buy up PPO coverage available**
- Vision: included in medical plans, optional buy up coverage available**
- Long term disability insurance: 100% employer-paid
- Employee Assistance Program: 100% employer-paid* / **
- Voluntary supplemental insurance products* / **
- Paid holidays, PTO and sick leave
- Bereavement leave
- Onsite wellness program
- 403B Retirement Plan: employer contribution with additional percentage match of employee contribution*
- Life/AD&D Insurance: 100% employer-paid
- FSA for medical, dependent care, and transit expenses*
- Professional development
- “SDHS Animal Shelter Academy” continuing education program
- Comprehensive hands-on training programs
- Online training courses
* Dependents of regular full-time employees are eligible to enroll.
- Discounted veterinary products and services
- Discounted adoption fees, behavior and training classes, and community education programs
- Discounts at Muttique, the Society’s in-house pet supply store
- Pets at Work program
- Discounts at VCA pet hospitals and Trupanion pet insurance
* Benefits are offered to regular full-time and part-time employees.
We provide vital services to animals and people by sheltering and adopting animals, providing positive reinforcement training classes, investigating animal cruelty and neglect, presenting education programs for youth and adults, providing safety net services to help people keep their pets, caring for injured and orphaned wildlife, and much more.
We are a private, nonprofit organization that is not affiliated with any other local or national humane society or SPCA organization.
“I LOVE that we’re all doing different tasks and jobs, but that they’re all for the purpose of helping our animals and the community’s animals!” Community Engagement Staff
“The flexibility and support we get has kept me here for so long and has made it easy to stay committed to the Humane Society.”Guest Relations Staff